BS in Healthcare Studies
Lauren Gellar, PhD, HCS Division Director.
The online Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Studies is a degree completion program. It provides students with a foundation in healthcare studies and population health. Students are prepared to become informed and engaged health professionals who can think critically about health-related issues, work as part of a healthcare team, and develop innovative solutions that integrate comprehensive determinants of health.
This program is ideal for individuals that want to:
· Complete their bachelor’s degree online while continuing to work,
· Increase their career advancement opportunities by obtaining a bachelor’s degree,
· Apply to a graduate program in the health professions upon completion of their bachelor’s degree.
Students come from a variety of backgrounds and professions, including occupational therapist assistants, physical therapist assistants, medical assistants, radiologic technologists, and cardiovascular technologists. Most of our students are working professionals hoping to advance their careers by attaining a bachelor’s degree.
Through the program, students will develop an understanding of the determinants of health; develop creative and innovative health interventions for diverse populations; understand the strengths and limitations of research to interpret health data; and apply ethical and professional standards and values to health professions practice. These objectives are based on the necessary skills to obtain employment in a health promotion field or provide students who apply to graduate programs with a broader perspective of health.
To apply applicants must have the following:
A minimum of 72 credit hours, including all general
- Including Probability and Statistics (or the equivalent Math course). This is a course prerequisite for the program.
- Applicants must submit official transcripts from all colleges attended.
- A preferred minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- A résumé as outlined in the university application.
- Two professional or academic references who can comment on the applicant’s capabilities and motivation. Recommendations from friends and/or family members are not accepted.
- An essay as outlined in the university application.
- Completed the university application.
For program details applicants, are encouraged to contact Dr. Lauren Gellar, Director of the Division of Healthcare Studies, by email at email@example.com or by phone at (843) 792-2210.
Becca Barry, HCS Student Services Coordinator, is also available to assist you in the enrollment process, firstname.lastname@example.org or (843) 792-5323.
In addition to the application itself, the applicant must complete supplemental materials. Applicants are required to submit official transcripts for each and every post-secondary institution even if listed as transfer credit on another transcript. Details and any forms needed will be provided within the application and will also be sent by email after submission of the online application.
MUSC’s BSHS degree program is unable to admit international students requiring an F-1 visa. Applications will only be accepted from U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or those holding other valid nonimmigrant visa classifications that allow participation in lawful study while in the United States.
Contact Information & Assistance
|Program details and admissions eligibility.||Dr. Lauren Gellar, Director
|Application process and supplemental
|Mrs. Jenny Damewood
|Program admissions and enrollment.||Mrs. Rebecca Barry
Important Application Dates
|Start Term||Application Type||Available||Deadline|
|Fall 2020||Regular||September 15, 2019||August 15, 2020|
Application Fee: $50 (Required to submit online application)
Matriculation Fee: $100 (Due when accepting admissions offer)
Distance Education Information
- MUSC has been approved by South Carolina to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. Currently, MUSC accepts applications to the Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Studies from students who live in all state.
- To learn more please see the Office of Institutional Effectiveness' State Authorization page.