The Cardiovascular Perfusion Program is a graduate level program in the College of Health Professions at MUSC. Certified Cardiovascular Perfusionists (C.C.P) are responsible for the patient's physiologic requirements during open-heart surgery when cardiac and respiratory functions are performed by the heart-lung machine. MUSC's Cardiovascular Perfusion program is considered to be one of the best programs in the country. The program has an active research agenda focused on improving patient care through scientific evaluation of techniques and devices. Graduates of the program are among the most highly regarded in the profession with starting salaries above $80,000.
The Admissions Committee will consider the following criteria:
- Attention to detail
- Aptitude for math, chemistry, physics, pharmacology and physiology
- Exceptional manual dexterity and coordination
- A commitment to lifelong learning
- Personal motivation
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or above in all college work
- 27 hours of prerequisite courses must be completed before the program's start date
|Mathematics (6 hours recommended)||3|
|Anatomy and Physiology (includes lab)||8|
|Chemistry (includes lab)||8|
|Physics (includes lab)||4|
|Here is a guide of Frequently Approved Prerequisites.|
Please note: The Office of Enrollment Management is able to offer unofficial transcript evaluations from March 1st - June 30th. Please call Enrollment Management at 843-792-2536 to speak with an admissions specialist or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Competitive GRE (Graduate Record Examination) scores
- Three references
- Current CPR Certification
- Shadow a perfusionist.
- Complete the Cardiovascular Perfusion Program Shadowing Log (PDF)
- *Clemson University students who are on the Accelerated Pathway track must provide signed verification of Clemson general education requirements validated by the Clemson Registrar’s Office by time of matriculation into MUSC. https://www.clemson.edu/academics/programs/musc/
CVP Shadowing at MUSC
We do not require that the shadowing experience be performed at MUSC. If you would like to shadow at MUSC, please visit this link: http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/chp/cvp/Admissions/shadowing.htm
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for admissions for international students whose native language is not English. The TOEFL score will be evaluated in conjunction with other academic credentials. Acceptable communication skills including reading comprehension, oral communication, and writing are required.
In addition to the application itself the applicant must complete the supplemental materials. These forms are available in a PDF format within the application and are also sent through email once an application is submitted. Applicants are required to submit official transcripts from each post-secondary school attended and all materials must be received by the application deadline.
- Confirm prerequisites
- Complete university application
- Minimal Skills Form
- Application fee
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- GRE scores
- Three letters of reference
- Shadow log (PDF)
- Academic Plan Form
Please note: All above information must be received on or before the application deadline before an admission decision can be made. It is the applicant's responsibility to review the progress of his/her application by visiting the progress portal.
|Start Term||Application Type||Available||Deadline|
|Fall 2020||Regular||July 1, 2019||Jan 1, 2020|
After the application process is completed, qualified applicants may be invited for a personal interview and tour of the facilities which are held at the end of February through early March.