School of Dental Medicine Facilities
- New clinical facility with 189 operatories
- Renovated Basic Science facility
- Two recently renovated tiered classrooms exclusively for CDM
- Planned Collaborative Learning Enrichment Environment
- State of the art pre-clinical Simulation Laboratory
- Dedicated research space for Clinical Oral Health Research
- D.M.D.: 296 students (1079 applicants for class size of 75)
- Dental Medicine (D.M.D./Ph.D.) Training Program: 5 students
- 6 Residency programs with 41 residents
- MS program: 22 students
- First time pass rate for National Boards part I and II is 96 percent
- Faculty student ratio is 1 to 5
Patient Care, Service, & Outreach
- Over 65,576 patient visits per year
- Students provide care in 7 outreach clinics throughout the state
- Faculty, residents and students participate in Dental Access Day, providing over $1,000,000 of free dentistry to South Carolina citizens
- Over 50 students participate in International Mission trips annually
- Dedicated clinic for patients with Special Health Care Needs
- MUSC CDM ranked #19 in research funding
- Average total grant awards 2014 thru 2016 are $4,000,000 per year
- Center for Oral Health Research supports investigational clinical and basic translational research
School of Dental Medicine Alumni
- First D.M.D. class graduated in 1971
- Total of 2272 Alumni
- 68 percent of our Alumni practice in South Carolina
- 46 percent of alumni actively support the college
Partners in Education & Service
- Partner with South Carolina Dental Association for continuing education programming and community projects such as Dental Access Day.
- Partner with Duke Endowment, Department of Disabilities and Special Needs and Family Connections to support access to Oral Health care for Adults with Special Needs statewide.
- Partner with Fetter Health Care Network, Charleston County School District, DentaQuest Institute, and the Mayor’s Office of the Town of Hollywood, to advance oral health interprofessional training for primary care and dental students.
- Partner with DentaQuest Institute, South Carolina Office of Rural Health, South Carolina Dental Association, and community-based rural dentists to demonstrate evidence-based collaborative referral management partnerships with rural primary care providers.
- Partner with SCDHEC, the state oral health coalition, and Pee Dee AHEC to support a student-led training curriculum on caring for the long-term care resident’s oral health for certified nursing assistants.
- Faculty: 51 Fulltime, 32 part time, 173 volunteer
- Staff: 130