Each year the Graduate Training Program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Medical University of South Carolina sponsors an externship program. The program is designed for students who have completed their first year of dental school and desire additional exposure to a university based academic oral and maxillofacial surgery training program. Those students who are considering a career in the specialty are encouraged to apply.
There are three full-time oral and maxillofacial surgery attending surgeons at MUSC. Surgical activity and student involvement will be primarily at the MUSC Main Hospital, but will likely also include time at the College of Dental Medicine.
The objectives of the externship are:
1. Expose the student to the specialty of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
2. Allow the student an opportunity to observe an oral and maxillofacial surgery training program at an institution different from his or her own school.
3. Provide some insight to the rigors and excitement of an oral and maxillofacial surgery residency training program.
4. Provide increased experience in working within a hospital setting.
The requirements of the externship are:
1. Completion of the first year of dental school.
2. Class rank in the top 20%.
3. Availability during the entire determined externship period.
4. Two letters of reference from faculty members, at least one of which must be an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.
There will only be one extern rotating on the oral and maxillofacial surgery service at any given time. Externs will spend the majority of their time under the direct supervision of oral and maxillofacial surgery faculty and residents. Although there may be some exposure to clinic-based outpatient surgery; the major emphasis of the externship is on major hospital surgical procedures.
Externs will need to provide their own transportation in Charleston. Please complete and return the enclosed application form. Applications will be considered as they are received in an attempt to finalize the rotations as soon as possible. Personal interviews will not be required for acceptance.