Everyone needs to take of their oral health, but there are certain groups that require special attention. These include children, pregnant women, and the elderly. Below are links to informative sites for some of these populations.
Parents play an important role in establishing early health habits including oral health. They need to be empowered and informed about the best way to protect their child's smile and put them on the road to good oral health. Parents can make a positive impact on their family's oral health by simply following a few basic steps:
- Wipe out your child's mouth before teeth arrive and then begin brushing teeth two times a day.
- Floss regularly.
- Take your child to the dentist by age one and then continue with regular visits.
- Drink water with fluoride if possible.
- Ask your doctor or dentist about fluoride varnish.
- Limit sugary foods and drinks and offer food at regular times each day rather than allowing children to snack all day long.