Cost is $2,500 and includes:
- Ground transportation to and from the Charleston International Airport.
- Hotel room.
- Meals during the workshop.
- Workshop materials, mentors and consultants.
Note: Airfare/travel costs and additional night(s) at Wild Dunes Resort not included
Important Dates (Subject to Change)
July 2 – August 8, 2018: Applications accepted
October 1: Successful applicants notified via email
October 3: Waitlisted and non-accepted applications notified via email
October 10: Applicants must confirm acceptance of invitation
October 11: Alternates notified via email
October 17: Participants notified of their primary and secondary mentors
October 17 through December: Mentors begin contacting mentees and providing feedback to mentees on proposal and/or research ideas
STEP 1: Complete Application Forms
The application form consists of parts A & B.
Part A is for the applicant's research plan.
Research Plan Format
- No More Than 3 Pages
- Separate Document from Biosketch
- References may be additional page(s)
Specific Aims - 1 page
- Including hypotheses when appropriate; impact and innovation
Research Strategy - 2 pages
- Background (brief literature review and rationale)
- Significance (implication for the field)
It is important to clearly convey the Aims, Significance and Innovation in these 3 pages
Part B is for the applicant's personal information
NOTE: The research plan and Biosketch can only be submitted one time per applicant. Therefore, it is suggested that both these items are in their final draft before you apply online. Please use the online submission link at the bottom of this page.
STEP 2: Letters of Support
Two Letters of Support are Required (as described below)
1. Department Chair or Division Head
Must be from registrant's institution or, if senior trainee, in institution where faculty position is anticipated.
The letter of support should contain the following information:
- Provision of registrant's cost of travel/registration.
- Protected time for registrant to prepare for and participate in the 4-1/2day workshop, to complete and submit NIH proposal or equivalent, and, if funded, to execute the proposed research.
2. Registrant's Research or Senior Faculty Mentor
- The letter of support should contain the following information:
- Potential of registrant as an academic and as a researcher.
- Adequacy of training and research experience to be competitive for an NIH or equivalent; research or research training award.
- Overview of registrant's research topic, planned approach, facilities, resources, and expertise available.
- Mentor's qualifications (e.g. NIH or comparable funding record
of accomplishment) and plans for supporting the registrant in planning and writing a competitive research proposal. For strongest application, the letter from institutional mentor should also include evidence of past and present mentoring interactions
- NIH Biosketch of faculty mentor.
Both letters should be addressed to the Application Committee and then emailed by August 7th in PDF format to: Laura Reid email@example.com.
It can be sent to Ms. Reid by the applicant or the letter writer; there is no preference.
STEP 3: Submit Application
The application opens July 2nd
1. Reply to the email sent on October 2 confirming your commitment to attend.
2. Submit the registration fee: The cost will be $2,500, which includes workshop materials, hotel room, meals, airport transfers, mentors and consultants. (This does not include travel costs or extra night(s) at the Wild Dunes Resort.)
- Make check payable to:
Medical University of South Carolina or MUSC
Mail check to:
MUSC, College of Health Professions
151 B Rutledge Avenue MSC 962
Charleston, SC 29425
- If your institution requires an invoice, please email Laura Reid at firstname.lastname@example.org to request one.
3. Make individual travel arrangements: Plan to arrive at the Wild Dunes Resort by 1:30pm on the first day of the workshop. Transportation from the Charleston International Airport to the Wild Dunes Resort will be provided.
Note: After your acceptance and receipt of your registration fee, we will be making your Wild Dunes reservation for you. When you arrive at the workshop and check in at the Wild Dunes Resort they will ask for a credit card but it will only be for incidental expenses you may have. Further details regarding workshop preparation, schedule and logistics will follow. Participants will be assigned their primary and secondary faculty mentors and “pods” prior to the workshop.
A completed Research Plan and NIH Biographical Sketch must be uploaded with your online application. The research plan and Biosketch can only be submitted one time per applicant. Therefore, it is suggested that both these items are in their final draft before you apply online.