Neonatal Pharmacology Conference:
Now in its 20th year, the Neonatal Pharmacology Conference is designed to help NICU professionals including physicians, pharmacists, nurse practitioners, nurse managers, and experienced staff nurses make those decisions. The goal of the conference is to share evidence-based approaches to the care of the neonate. The conference is the only such conference available from a non-profit organization in the country and addresses certification needs through accredited Continuing Medical Education Credits for physicians, Continuing Education Units for nurses, and Continuing Education Units in Pharmacology for neonatal nurse practitioners. Now entering its twentieth year, the conference began as a small internal educational offering for MUSC NNPs and has grown to include a national audience and nationally renowned speakers.
The Low Country Perinatal Region of South Carolina outreach education is coordinated and provided through the Medical University of South Carolina Children’s Hospital Perinatal Regionalization Program. Currently, in Low Country region of South Carolina, 35% of neonates requiring neonatal intensive care are born outside of the perinatal regional center and are transported to MUSC. The educational outreach offerings of this program equip the referring hospital staff with the skills necessary to care for this population of mothers and neonates prior to the arrival of the MEDUCARE neonatal intensive care transport team. The program is fortunate to be staffed by advanced trained nurses in the areas of obstetrics and gynecology and neonatology. Currently offered educational activities include:
- Association of Women’s Health Obstetric and Neonatal Nursing (AWON) basic/ intermediate/ and advanced fetal monitoring for caregivers at all levels.
- AWON high touch nursing of the laboring patient
- AWON perinatal orientation and education program of neonatal care for obstetric caregivers
- AWON neonatal orientation program for neonatal caregivers
- Stable course for general neonatal pre-transport stabilization of critical neonates
- Stable course for the diagnosis and pre-transport care of neonates with complex congenital cardiac anomalies
- National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN) course entitled Foundations of Care covering basic neonatal care
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) provider course for RN/ MD/ RT providers of neonatal care