The MUSC College of Nursing Office of Research and Evaluation is devoted to the development and utilization of nursing research. The Office is a centralized resource with the overall goal of enhancing the research potential of the College of Nursing faculty and students.
How can the Office of Research help you?
- Assist with the preparation and submission of funding requests to federal and state agencies and institutes, foundations, and other funding sources
- Clarify submission requirements and guidelines from potential funding agencies
- Identify and explore research funding opportunities based on faculty goals and objectives
- Provide support for externally funded faculty research and community collaborative projects, grants, contracts and cooperative arrangements
- Provide statistical and methodological assistance during proposal writing process
- Provide institutional information
- Critique proposal internally
- Provide external review
- Assist with budget, budget narrative, management plan
- Complete all forms: face page, blue sheet, biosketches, assurances, etc.
- Assist in preparing final document
- Secure appropriate signatures
- Mail (express mail/electronic submission)
- Assist with IRB requirements
What will you, as faculty, need to do to support the research process?
- Read the RFP/PA
- Discuss your project with Associate Dean for Research
- Secure approval from Associate Dean for Research and Associate Dean for Faculty
- Before meeting with the Associate Deans, ask yourself these questions:
- How much of my time will be required for my research?
- Is there potential for interdisciplinary collaboration?
- Are cost-sharing/matching funds required or allowable?
- Can my research goals be achieved with the amount of allowable funding?
- Do I need equipment? What is and is not allowed?
- How will the project be sustained after the grant period ends?
Additional points for researchers
- As you write your narrative, remember to follow guidelines closely; proposals are being returned without review if they do not follow instructions.
- Create your preliminary budget.
- Develop objectives/outcomes.
- Remember that all grant proposals, contracts and cooperative agreements must have University clearance through the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs 10 working days prior to submission deadline