Faculty and Staff Resources
- Blackboard Ally Instructor Package for Harbor
- WebAIM: Creating Accessible PDFs
- DIAGRAM Center: How to Write Effective Image Descriptions
- Color Contrast Checker
- Microsoft Inclusive Design Toolkit
- Jaws Screen Reader
- Nvidia Screen Reader
- Blackboard Ally
- Viewing Captions in Panopto
- Microsoft Accessibility Resources
- Keyboard Navigation in Harbor
Web Developer Resources
- Online training - Web Standards for Sitecore Training
- Horseshoe Accessibility Site
- List of MyQuest modules about accessibility -- The MyQuest Digital Accessibility catalog provides multiple resource sites for accessibility. Examples include Microsoft, W3C, and Adobe.
- Adobe Acrobat Accessibility Resources – The Adobe Acrobat Accessibility Resource site provides instructions and support on how to create accessible content within the Adobe suite.
- Color Contrast Checker
Blackboard Ally is an accessibility tool that is embedded into the university’s learning management system, Harbor. This feature provides an accessibility score for files that are uploaded into Harbor, as well as alternative file formats for students to download.
Introducing Blackboard Ally!
To help ensure students have access to their digital learning materials in formats that work for their different devices, learning needs, and preferences, Harbor includes a new tool called Ally. Next to the course files, students will find an icon with a dropdown menu. Simply click the icon, and select “Alternative Formats.” You will see a list of options from which to choose. Download speed will depend on the file size.
Depending on the type of document, you many find some or all of the options below available:
- An OCRed PDF which is used to improve the text of scanned documents
- A Tagged PDF with improved navigation, especially if you use a screen reader
- An HTML version that will be adjust text for your mobile devices
- An ePub version if you use an eReader or tablet
- An Electronic Braille version if you’re a braille reader
- An audio version for listening to an MP3
The Learn Open LMS (Harbor) Course for Students is available!
The Learn Open LMS Student Edition course is designed to help students familiarize themselves with the common educational technology tools and systems in place throughout the university. Topics covered include Harbor, Panopto, Blackboard Ally, Turn It In, Blackboard Collaborate, Box and the Intelliboard Learner Dashboard. If you have access to Harbor as a student, this course will now be available in your “My Courses” menu.
This course is designed to introduce participants to the foundations of digital accessibility and how to incorporate best practices into creating accessible content.
The Office 365 Accessibility Resource site provides instructions and support on how to create accessible content within the Microsoft suite.
The Panopto captioning resource site provides details on how to add closed captions into any recorded video.
University of Washington DO-IT (Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology) Center
Contacts by College
College of Dental Medicine
Daniel Berg email@example.com
College of Graduate Studies
Erica Lugo firstname.lastname@example.org
College of Health Professions
Lynda Marshall email@example.com
College of Medicine
Allison Legget Leggett@musc.edu
Ben Rogers firstname.lastname@example.org
Inda Humes email@example.com
Jennifer Nall firstname.lastname@example.org
College of Nursing
Leslie Morris email@example.com
College of Pharmacy
Roby Hill firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert Maguire email@example.com
Shannon Drayton firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Department Contacts
Academic Affairs Faculty
Melissa Hortman email@example.com
Eric Lemon firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Nelson email@example.com
Division of Education and Student Affairs
Alex Walters firstname.lastname@example.org
Hollings Cancer Center
Williams Morganweck email@example.com
Pamela Roberts firstname.lastname@example.org
University Human Resources
Lydia Diaz email@example.com