Center for Transformation and Change Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program
Lead: Dr. Kathy Obear
Campus Lead: Dr. DaNine J. Fleming
Program Application Form
Application due February 28, 2020 by 5:00 p.m.
15 diverse enterprise faculty, staff and clinicians who show the potential of serving as change agents within their college/department/the campus community. This cohort is intended to be a diverse working group committed to a year-long program.
Participants will become Equity and Inclusion Ambassadors through the completion of this program. Participants meet during the times listed below and participate in innovative and interactive learning experiences including virtual classroom sessions and individualized coaching/discussions led by Dr. DaNine J. Fleming.
The second portion of the certificate program is designed to give participants the tools needed to operationalize diversity and inclusion in their respective work areas/units as well as across the MUSC enterprise. All sessions build upon the skills and knowledge gained throughout the program, and attendance is mandatory. Participants are required to complete a capstone project and present their work at the conclusion of the program.
This program is co-facilitated by nationally recognized social justice expert Dr. Kathy Obear. For more information on Dr. Obear, please visit her website.
To help develop the internal capacity of MUSC enterprise members to have the resources necessary to partner and create more meaningful, sustainable diversity and inclusion practices on campus. This certificate program is designed to assist campus constituents with providing the means to create a more inclusive, socially just organization. This certificate program directly relates to the Just Culture Algorithm, which the university has now adopted, by providing yet another skill set for MUSC employees to utilize.
Thursday, June 18, 2020 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
12 weekly sessions (11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.) during Fall 2020
Inclusion to Innovation Summit:
Thursday, November 5, 2020 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Friday, November 6, 2020 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
5 monthly sessions (11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.) during Spring 2021.
On designated dates, participants will be expected to commit to a minimum of:
- Two (2) hours per meeting or 1.5 hours of presentation, lecture, seminar, activities or other structured interaction with colleagues and
- Two and a half (2.5) hours of pertinent readings/activities
- Professional leadership development
- Certification in diversity and inclusion
This intense Certificate Program will help prepare 15 campus constituents on how to further the diversity and inclusion dialogue as well as how to serve as effective allies directly impacting the recruitment and retention of individuals with a particular emphasis on underrepresented minorities.
Interested applicants should complete the attached application and submit a recent CV/resume. The deadline to apply is February 28th, 2020 by 5:00 p.m. Selected participants will meet June 18, 2020 for a program orientation.
- Participants will present a capstone project for the campus community based on the research activities of the working group
- Each participant will develop/enhance a program/service for their home department/college
A nominal college/department commitment of $1,500 per participant. The Department of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will sponsor the remainder of the participant fee TO INCLUDE:
- All required books
- Resource materials utilized in the course
- Group coaching with Dr. Obear
Remit payment via IIT.
Supporting the enterprise Imagine MUSC 2020 Strategic Plan goal of embracing diversity and inclusion and the Diversity and Inclusion Strategic implementation, this certificate program is a way to compliment what departments/colleges are doing for the final years of each plan (Years 2.5-5) and preparing for the next phase of a new strategic plan. The overall goal is to actively create environments with greater social justice and inclusion at the Medical University for South Carolina. The purpose is to deepen the capacity to infuse equity and inclusion into their work and serve as a peer coach and resource to their colleagues that want to acquire the diversity and inclusion skill-set. Participation in the Center for Transformation and Change Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program includes such topics as: examining the far-reaching impact of microaggressions on individuals as well as organization goals, morale, productivity, and overall success; creating inclusive, socially just organizations, and interrupting racism.
BENEFITS TO YOUR COLLEGE/DEPARTMENT:
- Trained leaders can help to move the diversity and inclusion goals identified by each college/department in a systemic way exclusive of working in “silos”
- Trained leaders work to enhance greater collaboration across the colleges and various departments
- Participants will be available to serve as an internal resource to partner with leaders to assist them in achieving their inclusion/equity goals; and
- Trained leaders will meet quarterly to gain additional skills, have dialogue on what is working effectively and what is not working and create collaborative services