MUSC’s Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is pleased to invite nominations for the 2018 Earl B. Higgins Leadership in Diversity Awards. Established to honor the former director of minority affairs, the awards acknowledge the outstanding contributions, persistence, and dedication individual members of the MUSC community (students, faculty, staff, and Health care professionals) have made towards enhancing and advancing diversity and inclusion at the Medical University of SC. The 2018 Earl B. Higgins Awards will be presented at a reception on Wednesday, April 05, 2018, from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm at the Wickliffe House on Ashley Avenue.
We seek nominations for three separate awards:
- The Earl B. Higgins 2018 Achievement in Diversity Award
- The Earl B. Higgins 2018 Student Leadership in Diversity Award
- The Earl B. Higgins 2018 MUSC Health Leadership in Diversity Award (Created in 2017)
Nominations for either award should be individuals who have contributed significantly to diversity in three of the following five areas:
- Enriches diversity through student, faculty, staff and/or patient recruitment, retention, and enrichment
- Improves/enhances diversity through excellence in service to students, faculty, staff, patients, families, or visitors
- Advances two or more of the several targeted areas of the D&I strategic plan: education and training, engagement and inclusion, communications/community relations/outreach, and impacting performance outcomes and assessment
- Recognizes and takes initiative to act upon potential opportunities to significantly affect/influence the organization's academic health center environment as it pertains to embracing diversity
- Demonstrates an understanding of the benefits of diversity within MUSC and throughout the community and promotes outcomes that “create an inclusive experience for the lives we touch.”
Nominees Contributing in More Than Three Areas are Given Greater Consideration
Nominations must include the nomination form (PDF), a resume, and two letters of endorsement for each nominee. Please attach letters of endorsement with the nomination form.
Submissions must be received by 5PM, EST, Monday, February 05, 2018. Electronic submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org are recommended. However, packets may also be submitted by fax (fax information below) or in person (office location below). Awardees will be announced March 05, 2018.
If sending by fax or mail, please send to:
Willette S. Burnham-Williams, PhD
University Chief Diversity Officer
Chair, Selection Committee, Earl B. Higgins Award
Basic Sciences Building (BSB) Suite 104
Charleston, SC 29425-5020