International Tax Information
Medical University of South Carolina Employment & Taxation Forms for Foreign Nationals
Charles Bradley helps internationals in determining whether or not they have tax treaty benefits. He also directs them to IRS information about taxes. He does not file tax forms for the internationals or give tax advice.
Tax seminar - International Programs hosts an International Tax Seminar in February.
Tax forms must be filed every year by April 1st.
What Documents are Needed to Complete Required Employment & Tax Information?
- U.S. social security card - it can take four weeks to receive this card after you have applied with the U.S. Social Security Administration.
- Unexpired foreign passport.
- U.S. visa.
- I-94 Departure Card - you will receive this card and complete it during your trip to the U.S. Upon arrival in the U.S., immigration officials will review the card and stamp it with your visa status and departure date. This card contains your admission number.
- Form I20 if F visa.
- Form DS2019 if J visa.
- Form I797 A if H1.
- EAD card if optional practical training work.
- If you have a Resident Alien Card, Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of U.S. Citizenship, it may also be used for completing employment forms.
What Forms Must Be Completed for Employment & Payroll Tax Purposes?
- INS Form I9 - Employee Eligibility Verification
- MUSC Tax Information Form for Internationals
- IRS Form W-4 - Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
- IRS Form 8233 - Exemption from Withholding on Compensation for Independent (and Certain Dependent) Personal Services of a Nonresident Alien Individual
- IRS Form 8233 Attachment - applicable treaty statement for students, professors, teachers, or researchers.
Please note: If you are being funded by a foreign organization, please bring the contract letter or other documentation from the foreign organization that has agreed to pay your salary during your time at MUSC.
Medical University of South Carolina
Division of Finance & Administration
Tax & Cash Receipts Department
Policy Approved 4/99 by signature:
VP for Finance & Administration