All incoming students need to provide documentation of their TB status. Once this is verified, students will need annual TB screening as a condition of enrollment.
TB screening (TB Skin Test or Blood Assay) is required of all students regardless of prior BCG vaccination. All incoming MUSC students (and visiting students) must provide documentation of one of the following:
- Two (2) tuberculosis skin tests (Mantoux 5 TU Tuberculin Skin Tests) administered 1 – 3 weeks apart, and both within 3 months of enrollment. If a student has had a TB Skin test in the 12 months prior to enrollment, they may get one additional TB skin test within 3 months of enrollment to satisfy this requirement.
- Blood Assay for Tuberculosis (Interferon Gamma Release Assay/IGRA) within 3 months of enrollment: QuantiFERON® TB Gold or T-SPOT®
- History of previous positive TB skin testing (≥ 10 mm induration) or (+) TB Blood Assay must be accompanied by documentation of the evaluation and treatment of this condition (this includes documentation of TB Skin Testing, TB Blood Assay Lab Report, Chest X-ray Report, Documentation of TB treatment, etc.) .
As a condition of enrollment, MUSC students are required to have annual TB screening. Students can be screened by one of the following methods:
- Annual TB Skin testing is available at Student Health Services at no cost to the student.
- TB Blood Assay (QuantiFERON® TB Gold or T-SPOT®) - can purchase a voucher or obtain a lab order (and have their insurance plan billed if this coverage is available on their plan).
- TB Symptom Survey – students who are unable to get annual TB Skin tests due to previous (+) TB Skin testing (not due to active/latent TB infection) may complete an annual TB Symptom Survey. Student Health staff will make the determination on which students can be screened with an annual TB Symptom Survey.
Positive Tuberculosis Testing
Students with (+) TB testing are required to undergo further evaluation to exclude active or latent tuberculosis. Students with (+) TB Skin testing should receive further evaluation with a TB Blood Assay. If the assay is (+) for TB infection, the student is required to have all of the following:
- Chest X-ray (done after the original positive TB Test). Unless the student becomes symptomatic, chest x-rays do not need to be repeated.
- TB Symptom Survey
- Health Department Evaluation for treatment.