Program Starts Once Per Year on June 1st
Post-baccalaureate Research Education Programs are funded by the NIH at selected universities around the United States with the goal ofincreasingthe diversity of the biomedical research workforce, which in turn will be better equipped to address and reduce health disparities.
MUSC PREP provides a one-year intensive research and professional development program for individuals with a keen interest in pursuing a Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. in the biomedical sciences. Participants will engage full time in activities to ready themselves for graduate school and a career in scientific research. Individuals accepted into the program will be full-time employees of the Medical University of South Carolina starting June 1st, and receive salary support and benefits for 12 months.
This program is designed to enhance the success of participants in Ph.D. programs and beyond in their research careers, but please note that successful completion of this program is in no way a guarantee of an interview or acceptance into a Ph.D. program at MUSC or anywhere else.
Components of the Program Include
- A hands-on introduction to benchwork techniques summer course
- Hypothesis-driven laboratory research project with experience, dedicated mentors
- Individualized professional development plans and personalized coaching sessions extending into graduate school
- Workshops and numerous presentation opportunities to improve scientific communication skills
- Travel to national scientific conference
- Preparation for the GRE exam, graduate school applications, and interviews
- Graduate level coursework and research ethics training
- Inclusion in a diverse, vibrant community of biomedical scientists at all levels of training
- Monthly research meetings with current Ph.D. students from underrepresented groups and disadvantaged backgrounds
- Career exploration and networking with Ph.D.s in traditional and nontraditional career paths
- Activities to share the PREP Scholar experience with family
Requirements to Apply
- You must be a US Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident.
- You must have graduated or be in the process of graduating with a baccalaureate degree in a biomedical relevant science, from an accredited US college or University, no more than 36 months before your expected matriculation into the PREP program, and not be currently enrolled in a graduate degree program.
- You must belong to a group considered to be underrepresented in the field of biomedical research by virtue of race/ethnicity, disability or disadvantaged background (socially, culturally, economically or educationally). Nationally, racial and ethnic groups who have been found to be underrepresented in biomedical research include, but are not limited to, African Americans, Hispanic/Chicano/Latino(a) Americans, Native American/American Indians, Alaska Natives, Mainland Puerto Rican, or Native Pacific Islander [American Samoa, Guam, Hawaii, Melanesia, Micronesia, Northern Marianas, Palau, or the Philippines].
- You must plan to apply to a Ph.D. granting program in a scientific related field after successful completion of PREP.
Application to the MUSC PREP Program
Application is open December 1 through April 1
MUSC College of Graduate Studies
68 President Street
BE 101, MSC 501
Charleston, SC 29425
The following websites may be of interest: