The past year has been one of growth and progress for the Department of Medicine with many notable achievements in education, clinical care, and research. As the largest and one of the most active Departments in the MUSC College of Medicine, the Department provides essential leadership to numerous programs across the University and South Carolina.
In particular, some noteworthy Departmental highlights from this past year include the following:
- In 2018, the Department’s programs continue to be ranked among the best in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospitals” rankings for 2018-19. In the latest rankings, our Hematology/Oncology program ranked as one of the country's top 25 programs (#24) for the treatment of cancer. In addition, our Nephrology program was highly ranked as well, coming in at No. 46, placing it in the top 1% of programs nationwide. MUSC was also recognized as high-performing in four adult specialties that the Department of Medicine is critical to, including Gastroenterology & GI surgery, Geriatrics, Pulmonology, and Rheumatology.
- The Department’s clinical programs have continued to grow in both volume and quality over the past year. Our patient-centered medical initiatives as well as our faculty’s dedication to quality have resulted in increased patient satisfaction rates and financial success.
- In a highly competitive research environment, the Department saw total research funding increase by 9.6 percent this past year, with increases in both federal funding and industry sponsored funding.
- The Department’s core Internal Medicine Residency and Subspecialty Fellowship Programs are highly ranked and recognized nationally for their quality. Each year, applications to our residency program exceed the previous year, and the quality of the applicants has continued to rise along a similar trajectory.
- Our Department—made up of nine divisions engaged in care at two hospital systems and multiple ambulatory practices—is guided by our and the Institution's vision to provide the highest quality of care, to educate the next generation of physicians, and to perform seminal discovery research.
We are helping to fulfill this vision by demonstrating the five MUSC values of compassion, respect, innovation, collaboration, and integrity across our core mission areas of education, research, and patient care.
I extend my sincere appreciation to the dedicated faculty, fellows, residents, and staff who have contributed to our success so far, and I look forward to celebrating our future accomplishments and new initiatives in the year ahead.
I invite you to explore our website to learn more about our programs, educational activities, and research initiatives. Thank you for your interest in our department and services.
Don C. Rockey, M.D.
Chair, Department of Medicine