We are able to offer the following opportunities:
High School & Undergraduate Observers
- Students who wish to shadow an obstetrician may do so in the hospital (Labor and Delivery) under the close supervision of a physician; we are unable to host observers in our outpatient clinics. Students are unable to participate in procedures or have direct patient contact. Up to 3 days of observation may be approved.
- Application process takes approximately 30 days to review your immunization records, approve your application and schedule a date for your experience.
- We are able to offer shadowing opportunities during 2 weeks in June and December each year while our clerkship students are on break.
MUSC 1st & 2nd Year Medical Students
Please contact Andrea Shrader to schedule your required shadowing hours.
Visiting Fourth Year US Medical Students
- Our fourth year courses are each 4 weeks and are listed on Visiting Student Application Service VSAS.
- Students must be fully-enrolled in a US, LCME-accredited medical school and in their final year of training
- Applications must be submitted through VSAS. Applications are reviewed by the ObGyn Department, and are at the discretion of the College of Medicine Dean’s Office.
- MUSC’s visiting student guidelines
- The Obgyn department participates in the Underrepresented in Medicine Visiting Student Program.
- If you have questions, please contact Andrea Shrader, Dept. of ObGyn or Christine Talbot-Bond College of Medicine.
Visiting Students & MUSC Students From Other Health Professions
- Students from other health professions (MUSC or visiting) such as nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, and physicians assistants have the opportunity to work with our faculty and staff at our downtown clinic during 2 weeks in December and 2 weeks in June each year while our clerkship medical students are on leave.
- Per the College of Medicine Visiting Student Policy, the college where the student resides will pay the MUSC College of Medicine a fee per student per student week.
- If you have additional questions on how to arrange these opportunities, please contact Alecia Weber. Your application will require approval from the MUSC College of Medicine.