International Applicants

MUSC welcomes international applicants for admission. However, most programs have very limited seats available. As a result, international applicants will find admission to be extremely competitive. In addition, the application process is more complex for international applicants than it is for US citizens. International applicants must adhere to the admissions requirements of the program and the application requirements below.

Online Programs

MUSC is unable to issue I-20 forms to allow students in online programs to obtain F-1 student visas to travel to the United States. However, international students are permitted to participate in online programs while residing outside of the United States (without applying for a visa or traveling to the United States). 

Submitting an Application

MUSC does not mail paper versions of applications. International applicants are expected to apply online. The processing fee must be paid by credit card or electronic check at the end of the application. Applicants can easily make corrections while completing the application, save and return to work, and print-out a copy of the application. To submit an application, please go to the Ready To Apply page.

Academic Records

Official original records of academic achievement (transcript, diploma, degree, certificate, and/or official statements showing the class or quality of marks compared with those possible to achieve) are required from EACH and EVERY college or university attended. MUSC accepts transcripts directly from the university electronically (MOST universities in the United States have this capability) and by mail. Alternatively, the applicant may deliver or mail the official transcripts to MUSC if the transcript remains in an envelope sealed or stamped by the Registrar's office at the institution. See our required transcript policy for details at the Ready To Apply Transcripts page.

Foreign Institutions

Academic records from foreign institutions must be provided in English and must be certified or validated as true by a university or government official. Most programs at MUSC require that transcripts be evaluated by professional agencies and submitted to MUSC electronically or in unopened envelopes showing the equivalency of work completed outside the United States. Applicants should contact the admissions specialists for their program of interest to see if the program requires professional transcript evaluations.

The following websites provide more information about professional transcript evaluation agencies. Preferred agencies are members of NACES.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

The score report of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for all applicants whose native language is not English. Sometimes exceptions are made if a student has attended a United States institution for an extended period of time. Testing information is available from Scores must be sent directly from the Education Testing Service (ETS) to the university. The institutional code for MUSC is #5407. 

Copy of Current Visa or Permanent Resident Alien Cards

Non US Citizens currently living in the United States must submit a front and back copy of their current visa or permanent resident alien cards with their application materials. If a new student becomes a permanent resident of the United States, he or she must provide MUSC with a copy of the immigration forms.

Program-Specific Requirements

International applicants must also complete all admissions requirements and submit application materials required by the specific program of interest. Applicants can access admission information for all programs through the web at the Admissions home page. Applicants can also contact the admissions specialists for their programs for more information about program requirements.

After Acceptance (Obtaining F-1 Student Visa Status)

After an international applicant is offered a position in the university, has accepted the offer, paid the required matriculation fee, the student will be contacted by a Designated School Official (DSO) from the Center for Global Health to discuss the requirements and process of obtaining F-1 student visa status. Once the student has submitted all required documents to the Center for Global Health, then a Form I-20 will be issued to the student. The student must then present the I-20 Form to a US embassy or consulate to apply for a visa.  The Center for Global Health will provide the student with more detailed information about the visa application process once the I-20 has been issued. Once the student arrives at MUSC, the student will be required to check in with the Center for Global Health and present his/her visa, I-94 card, and other immigration documents. The student must present it to MUSC prior to registration for classes. 

Because it usually takes more than 6 weeks for the visa to be processed and issued by a US embassy or consulate, applicants must be accepted by the university at least two months before the day of registration, or enrollment is likely to be compromised. Deadlines for acceptance are:

  • end of June for fall entrance
  • end of October for spring entrance
  • end of April for summer entrance

What is a Form I-20?

The Form I-20 is a US government form required for all international students seeking F-1 visa status. The Form I-20 is issued by a SEVIS Designated School Official (DSO) of the university and states that the student whose name is on the form has applied and been accepted for a full-course of study to school and submitted all required documentation. The Form I-20 also states that the school has seen documents proving that the student has enough money to live and study in the US without working during at least the first year of study. Without a Form I-20, it is not possible to obtain a student visa or to keep lawful F-1 status when transferring from one school to another in the US.

How do I get a Form I-20?

New international students accepted into MUSC will be contacted by someone from MUSC's Center for Global Health regarding the F-1 sponsorship application process and required documents and forms. International applicants will be required to complete an online questionnaire and submit required documents (such as copies of your passport). International applicants must also submit the F-1 Declaration of Finances form along with the original financial documentation as described in the form’s instructions. These financial documents must prove that the student has sufficient financial funding to cover all expenses that would be incurred while in the United States for the first twelve months of study. Students who are not providing all of their own funds must have the same financial information and a statement of support from anyone committing to be responsible for his or her finances while in the United States.

  • All financial documents must be originals and dated within the current year.
  • All funds must be shown in US dollars.
  • All documents must be in English or accompanied by a certified English translation.
  • Applicable expenses include tuition and fees, living expenses, expenses for dependents (spouse or children), miscellaneous expenses (books, supplies, insurance, transportation, personal expenses), and round-trip fare to/from the United States. For projected tuition, academic fee, and off-campus housing expenses, go to the Student Financial Aid Cost To Attend page.

For More Information

Prospective international students may contact the Office of Enrollment Management at or (843) 792-5396 for information about any admissions forms or materials. The Office of Enrollment Management is open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday.

International students should also refer to the Center for Global Health website at