Maintaining Valid F-1 Status

You are responsible for maintaining valid F-1 status. If you are not sure whether or not something will impact your F-1 status, you must contact a DSO in the Center for Global Health before taking any action.

As an F-1 student, you must do the following:

  • Notify CGH any time you change addresses in the US. You must notify CGH by e-mail of any change of address within 10 days of moving.
  • Maintain full-time enrollment and normal, full-time progress toward your degree.
  • Obtain prior authorization from the DSO in CGH before dropping below a full course of study, withdrawing from classes, or taking a leave of absence.
  • Obtain prior authorization from the DSO in CGH before accepting on-campus employment.
  • Maintain an unexpired passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond your period of stay in the US. Contact your country‚Äôs consulate in New York City or embassy in Washington, DC if you need to extend your passport while in the US.
  • Notify CGH each time you plan to travel.
  • Notify CGH if you plan to change to another nonimmigrant status or if you adjust your status to permanent resident while in the US.