Maintaining Valid F-1 Status
As an F-1 student, the primary purpose of your stay in the United States is to pursue a full course of study at in the degree program and at the institution listed on your current Form I-20.
You are responsible for maintaining valid F-1 status. If you are not sure whether or not something will impact your F-1 status, you must contact the Center for Global Health before taking any action.
As an F-1 student, you must do the following:
- Maintain an unexpired passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond your period of stay in the US
- Maintain full-time enrollment and normal, full-time progress toward your degree
- Report any changes in your US residential (home) address or phone number within 10 days. You must update your US home address through your Student Portal. This information is forwarded to CGH and then updated in the SEVIS system.
- Complete the SEVIS continuing registration form each semester.
- Notify CGH if you plan to change to another nonimmigrant status or if you adjust your status to permanent resident while in the US.
You must request prior approval from the Center for Global Health before doing any of the following:
- Dropping below a full course of study
- Withdrawing from classes
- Taking a leave of absence
- Traveling outside of the United States
- Traveling within the United States
- Accepting part-time on-campus employment
- Participating in Curricular Practical Training
- Participating in Optional Practical Training
- Participating in any educational activities outside of the MUSC campus
Failure to receive appropriate authorization from the Center for Global Health will result in termination of your F-1 status and you will not be able to continue your studies in the United States. Remember, when in doubt, contact CGH in advance to ensure that you are not doing anything to violate your F-1 status.
Requests for authorization of certain activities are submitted through your Terra Dotta portal. Click on a specific request type below to go to the application page:
- In-Country Travel
- Out-of-Country Travel
- Leave of Absence
- Change of Education Level
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)
You can also request a letter for the DMV from CGH through the Terra Dotta portal by clicking here.