access intranet after hours circle-arrow apply blog caret circle arrow close closer look community outreach community outreach contact contact us down arrow facebook lock solid find a provider find a clinical trial find a provider find a researcher find faculty find-a-service how to apply join leadership left arrow locations logo make a gift map location maximize minimize my chart my chart notification hp notification lp next chevron right nxt prev pay your bill play previous quality and safety refer a patient request a speaker request appointment request an appointment residents corner rss search search jobs Asset 65 submit a story idea symptom checker Arrow Circle Up twitter youtube Dino Logo External Link University Logo Color University Logo Solid Health Logo Solid Arrow Right Circle Book Calendar Date Calendar Search Date Diploma Certificate Dollar Circle Donate Envelope Graduation Cap Map Pin Map Search Phone Pills Podcast

Changing Your Status to J-1 in the U.S.

If you are already in the US in another nonimmigrant status, you may be allowed to apply for a change of status to J-1. You must be maintaining valid nonimmigrant status in order to apply for a change of status.

Prospective exchange visitors already in the US will go through the same J-1 sponsorship application process with CGH. Once this process is complete, CGH will issue a form DS-2019. You will then need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and then file form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Form I-539 and instructions can be found on the USCIS website. It is your responsibility to complete and submit form I-539 and also pay any associated filing fees. You will not be able to submit Form I-539 until you have a DS-2019 issued by MUSC and you have paid the SEVIS I-901 fee.

It is important to note that you will not be able to begin the J-1 program at MUSC until you receive an official approval notice (Form I-797) from USCIS, indicating that USCIS has approved the I-539 application and granted you a change of status to J-1. Processing times for I-539 applications vary and are always subject to change, but in general these applications typically take around 3 months to be processed by USCIS. You can refer to the estimated USCIS processing times for more information. There is currently no way to expedite or premium process the I-539 application.

Because of the processing time involved with an I-539 change of status petition, it may be more beneficial in some circumstances for you to return to your home country and apply for a J-1 visa to enter the US, rather than applying for a change of status while remaining in the US.