J-1 Program Extensions

If you will not be able to complete your program objectives by the end date on form DS-2019, and you are eligible for additional time in your J-1 category, then your sponsoring MUSC department can request a program extension.

IMPORTANT: If you are subject to 212(e) and you apply for a J-1 waiver, you will no longer be eligible for any further extensions of your J-1 program. Therefore, if you apply for a J-1 waiver too soon (before you have utilized the maximum amount of time allotted for your particular J-1 category), you may find yourself in a situation where your J-1 program cannot be extended and you may have to leave the United States.

Your sponsoring MUSC department must be the one to request the extension of the program ā€“ you cannot request an extension directly through CGH. Contact your department business manager or your faculty supervisor to discuss. For the College of Medicine, the Human Resources Center of Expertise will assist your department with submitting the J-1 extension request.

Program extension requests can be submitted at any time throughout the program. Program extension requests must be submitted at least 60 days prior to your current J-1 program end date. Funding must be available for the entire duration of the requested extension period. If MUSC is not funding your program, you must be able to provide proof of funding for the requested extension period.

Once the program extension has been processed, CGH will issue a new DS-2019 form reflecting the new program end date. As long as you have a valid I-94 record with ā€œD/Sā€ as your admit until date and a valid DS-2019 form, you will be permitted to remain in the US to continue your J-1 program participation. If your J-1 visa in your passport has expired, you do not need to get another J-1 visa in order to remain in the US in valid J-1 status. The visa in your passport is simply the entry document that allows you to request entry into the US in a particular status. The only reason that you would need to obtain a new J-1 visa is if you must travel outside of the US and subsequently return to the US in J-1 status. In this case, you must apply for a J-1 visa at a US embassy/consulate outside of the US using your new DS-2019 form before returning to the US (you cannot apply for a J-1 visa while in the US).