MUSC J-1 Sponsorship Application Process

After an MUSC department invites you to participate in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program, the sponsoring MUSC department must submit a new sponsorship request with the Center for Global Health (CGH). You will then be contacted by e-mail and provided with instructions on what information and documents you must provide. Since each J-1 program is unique, document and information requirements may vary depending on the J-1 category and the circumstances of the program and applicant. In general, J-1 applicants should be prepared to provide the following documents:

  • Copy of biographic page of valid, unexpired passport (passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond intended period of stay in U.S.)
  • Copy of all degree certificates and academic transcripts or records
  • Curriculum vitae or resume
  • J-1 Exchange Visitor Responsibilities Form (PDF)
  • Declaration of intent to depart the U.S.
  • If program is not being funded by MUSC, documents showing proof of funding to meet the J-1 minimum funding requirements
  • Documents for any J-2 dependents, if applicable 

All of the documents that you submit must be in English or have an English translation. In addition, all funding documents must be certified and must provide amounts in U.S. dollars. If you cannot get a particular document in English, it is your responsibility to obtain a certified translation of that document.

Form DS-2019

Once you meet the eligibility criteria for a J-1 Exchange Visitor, CGH will issue a Form DS-2019, the Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status. CGH will send the original form directly to you in your home country, as you need the original form to apply for a J-1 visa at a US Embassy or Consulate abroad. Federal regulations currently prohibit J-1 program sponsors from transmitting electronic copies of DS-2019 forms, so a copy of the form cannot be sent to you by e-mail.

Additionally, if you have dependent family members who quality for J-2 status and who will be accompanying you to the US for the entire duration of your program, MUSC will issue a Form DS-2019 for each dependent for the purpose of applying for J-2 dependent visas.


After receiving your Form DS-2019, you will need to pay a one-time fee required by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to support the Student and Exchange Visitor Information (SEVIS) system. This fee is in addition to your visa application fee. Before applying for a J‐1 visa for initial entry to the US in J‐1 status, Exchange Visitors must pay the SEVIS fee and obtain a receipt of payment. You must bring your receipt of payment of the SEVIS fee when you apply for your visa. If you are applying for a change of status to J-1 in the US, you will need your SEVIS fee receipt to file with your change of status petition.

Visit the I-901 fee website for more information and instructions on submitting the SEVIS fee. Make sure that you print and save your I-901 fee payment receipt to include with your visa application.

You do not need to pay the SEVIS fee for a dependent child or spouse who will accompany you to the US. There is no separate SEVIS I-901 fee for J-2 dependents.