A J-1 exchange visitor may transfer to another authorized program sponsor if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which the exchange visitor was admitted to Exchange Visitor status and if the exchange visitor remains within the same participant category.
Transfer Your J-1 Program to MUSC
You may transfer your J-1 program to MUSC if an MUSC faculty member has agreed to sponsor your J-1 program and if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the original goals and objectives of your exchange visitor program. The sponsoring department must submit a case request with CGH in order to initiate the J-1 transfer. You will then be contacted by CGH with further instructions for processing the J-1 transfer.
You should prepare to submit the following documents:
- J-1 Transfer In Form
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Responsibilities Form
- Copy of current DS-2019 and all previous DS-2019s
- Copy of biographic page of valid, unexpired passport
- Copy of all degree certificates and academic transcripts or records
- Copy of any other previous U.S. immigration documents (I-797, I-20, EAD cards, etc.)
- Copy of current visa stamps
- Copy of I-94 card or I-94 electronic record
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Documents for any J-2 dependents, if applicable
Transfer Your J-1 Program From MUSC to Another Institution
If you wish to transfer your J-1 program to another institution, you must complete the J-1 Transfer Out Form (PDF). Along with this complete form, you must also provide the following:
- A letter from MUSC supervisor certifying that the new program goals and objectives are the same as the original program objectives at MUSC.
- A letter from the new institution certifying that the new program goals and objectives are the same as the original program objectives at MUSC.
The completed transfer out form and the two letters outlined above must be submitted to the Center for Global Health at least three weeks before the anticipated transfer date and no later than the end date on your current DS-2019.
Transfer Your J-1 Program to Another Faculty Sponsor at MUSC
CGH must approve all internal transfers of J-1 programs at MUSC prior to any changes taking place. The sponsoring department must submit a case request with CGH in order to initiate an internal transfer of a J-1 program.