Transferring Your F-1 Status & SEVIS Record

In general, to be eligible to transfer your F-1 SEVIS record from one institution to another, you must:

  • Be maintaining F-1 status at the current school by pursuing a full course of study or be engaged in post-completion optional practical training (OPT) until the transfer release date.
  • Be accepted by another SEVP-certified school.

If you are currently employed through a period of authorized OPT, your employment authorization will end on the transfer release date.

You must inform MUSC of any out-of-country travel plans that may coincide with your transfer (whether transferring in or transferring out). If you leave the United States before the transfer release date, but cannot return until after the transfer release date, the DSO at the transfer-in school must send you an updated Initial Form I-20 for re-entry into the US.

Please note that transferring your SEVIS record only pertains to your F-1 nonimmigrant visa status and does not include transferring of any academic records or credit hours.

Transferring F-1 Status to MUSC

If you are already in the US in valid F-1 status, you may be able to transfer your F-1 status from another US institution to MUSC. After you have been accepted into an MUSC program, you must go through the F-1 sponsorship application process with the Center for Global Health. During this process, you will be asked to provide certain information about your current F-1 status and current institution. Once you have submitted your complete sponsorship application, CGH will review your submission to make sure that you are eligible to transfer your F-1 status and SEVIS record to MUSC.

CGH cannot issue the Form I-20 from MUSC until the date that your SEVIS record is released from your current/previous academic institution. Once your SEVIS record has been released to MUSC, CGH can issue you a Form I-20 showing MUSC as your program sponsor. If you have F-2 dependents already here you with you in the US, their SEVIS records will automatically transfer when your SEVIS record is released, and CGH will issue new I-20s for your F-2 dependents also.

Transferring F-1 Status from MUSC to Another Institution

If you want to transfer your F-1 SEVIS record to another school in the United States, click here to complete the transfer out request. You will be required to provide a copy of your acceptance letter from the new institution.

On the transfer release date, the responsibility for your SEVIS record transfers to the Designated School Official (DSO) at the transfer-in school. MUSC will no longer have access to your record to make changes or print a new Form I-20 after the transfer release date. Your Form I-20 from MUSC will no longer be valid after the transfer release date. The transfer release date will be the completion of the academic semester unless a different date is requested. If your plans change and you decide not to transfer, you can request a cancellation of the transfer prior to the transfer release date.

You should contact the DSO in the international office at the transfer-in school as soon as possible to discuss procedures and requirements for completing the SEVIS transfer process as well as enrolling in the new institution.