Maintaining J-1 Status

You are responsible for maintaining valid J-1 status while in the US. You must abide by all of the rules and regulations of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program as well as MUSC policies and procedures for J-1 exchange visitors.

In order to maintain valid J-1 status, you must do the following:

  • Be continually engaged in the J-1 program activities throughout the duration of the program and cannot take a leave of absence of over 30 days from the program
  • Notify CGH within 10 days of any change in your US residential address or contact information (reported through Terra Dotta – see details below)
  • Provide CGH with up-to-date copies of your passport, visa, and I-94 admission records (for yourself and any J-2 dependents)
  • Notify CGH immediately if any of your immigration documents are lost or stolen
  • Notify CGH immediately if you intend to change your immigration status or adjust to permanent resident status
  • Contact CGH in advance to discuss any potential changes to your J-1 program, date of completion, site of activities, financial support, faculty supervisor, or any other aspect of your program

The following are some examples of situations that would violate your J-1 status:

  • Failure to maintain health insurance that meets the requirements of the J-1 program
  • Failure to report change of US address and/or contact information to CGH in a timely manner
  • Obtaining employment outside of your exchange visitor program activities
  • Moving to another MUSC department without prior approval from CGH
  • Remaining in the US beyond your lawful period of admission

If you have any questions about maintaining your J-1 status at MUSC, contact the Center for Global Health before doing anything that may cause you to violate your J-1 status.

Change of address reporting is done through your Terra Dotta Scholar Portal. Once you are logged in to Terra Dotta, navigate to the Profile tab. Click the pencil icon on the My Contact Information panel to update your US address or phone number.

For more information about travel during your J-1 program, refer to the Travel page.

For more information about the required procedures for completing your J-1 program, refer to the Program End page.

For more information about transferring your J-1 program to another institution, refer to the Transfers page.