access intranet after hours circle-arrow apply blog caret circle arrow close closer look community outreach community outreach contact contact us down arrow facebook lock solid find a provider find a clinical trial find a provider find a researcher find faculty find-a-service how to apply join leadership left arrow locations logo make a gift map location maximize minimize my chart my chart notification hp notification lp next chevron right nxt prev pay your bill play previous quality and safety refer a patient request a speaker request appointment request an appointment residents corner rss search search jobs Asset 65 submit a story idea symptom checker Arrow Circle Up twitter youtube Dino Logo External Link University Logo Color University Logo Solid Health Logo Solid Arrow Right Circle Book Calendar Date Calendar Search Date Diploma Certificate Dollar Circle Donate Envelope Graduation Cap Map Pin Map Search Phone Pills Podcast

J-1 Scholar Occasional Lectures or Consultations

J-1 professors, research scholars, and short-term scholars may participate in occasional lectures and short-term consultations, if authorized to do so by his or her J-1 program sponsor. Such lectures and consultations must be incidental to the exchange visitor's primary program activities. If wages, honoraria, or other remuneration are received by the exchange visitor for such activities, the exchange visitor must act as an independent contractor as such term is defined in 8 C.F.R. § 274a.1. Prior to participating in occasional lectures or consultations, the J-1 exchange visitor must first obtain approval in writing from the J-1 Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternative Responsible Officer (ARO) in the Center for Global Health at MUSC.


The term “occasional” refer to a single event rather than an ongoing activity. To ensure that occasional lectures or short-term consultations do not interfere with and are within the allowed activities of your J-1 program, the activities must:

  • Be directly related to the objectives of your exchange visitor program;
  • Be incidental to your primary program objectives; and
  • Not delay the completion of your exchange visitor program.


To obtain authorization for occasional lectures or consultations, you must submit the following to the Center for Global Health:

  • A copy of the invitation or offer letter from the prospective employer/outside organization describing the terms and conditions of the proposed activities, including: dates, locations, number of hours, field or subject, compensation, and a brief description of the activities.
  • Completed J-1 Occasional Lecture or Consultation Request Form (PDF) (to be completed by both you and your supervising MUSC faculty member).

If your proposed lecture or consultation is approved, the RO in the Center for Global Health will issue a written authorization. You should keep this written authorization permanently for your record. Again, this written authorization must be obtained prior to you beginning the occasional lecture or consultation activities.

If your occasional lecture or consultation activities are approved, you will be working not as an employee of the other organization but as an independent contractor. You will not have a sustained employer-employee relationship with the institution paying you, and you will not complete Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification in order to begin these activities. You may be required to present your Form DS-2019 and the authorization letter from the RO to the other institution in order to receive your compensation.